Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Self-Help For Writers

I suppose my biggest disappointment in the entirety of the Goldberg packet is the fact that there are so many opportunities to explore about the aspect of writing in large groups that we never did.  I would enjoy, especially, "Writing Marathons" as Goldberg describes them.  Writing and then sharing sounds like something that would be fascinating for me.  We learn by hearing ourselves, hearing others, and talking about it.

Improvement by practice is, from personal experience, the best way to attain better skills as a writer.  Reading self-help confidence-boosting blurbs comes out to about the bottom of the list.  Sorry Goldberg, but I don't need to "claim my writing."  I get it; it's mine: the good, the bad, and the ugly.  The "everybody is a winner" speech doesn't really strike me as helpful.  I can write shitty; I realize that.  But that's where getting constructive criticism comes in.  With educated help, shit can be turned into gold.

And that is exactly what I want.  I don't need a confidence booster.  Artists typically have absolute and utter disdain for their work, and that's even after they're professional.  It's normal.  I shouldn't have to feign advice to prevent self-hatred.  Okay, so you don't like your stuff.  Get over it.  Somebody will love it, seriously.  But me?  I want to get better.  Improving my writing is my top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment